Sunday, December 12, 2010

Extra Thankful

Today is her big day. The day people celebrate her miraculous existence and thank her for the blessing she has bestowed on them. La Virgen De Guadalupe became an important part of my life through academics. As I studied, researched, and wrote about her and her image, its meaning and controversy , she became my constant companion. I wear her around my neck and always in my heart. I ask her to watch over my family and thank her for the blessing in my life. This year I am extra thankful and indebted to her.

When Louella was born she was in the NICU for 5 days. In those five days I never ever prayed to La Virgen more. There were a brief few days waiting for test results where the health of my baby girl was up in the air. One test result would tell us if our daughter was perfectly healthy or would be battling for her life. Every second I was not talking out loud I was praying. In those quite moments when I was pumping food for my daughter I closed my eyes and prayed to La Virgen. As I sat and stared at Louella, feeling as helpless as I possibly could feel, I prayed to her. As I held my tiny baby in my arms, I prayed. I prayed in the car rides to and from the hospital, I prayed as I laid in bed not being able to sleep to watch over my baby when I couldn't be with her. I prayed as I walked in to The Phi's room in the middle of the night to see my oldest daughter.  I begged La Virgen to let my little girl be okay. I asked her to let me suffer and not to let my innocent baby suffer.

Louella came home from the hospital with a clean bill of health. La Virgen answered my prayers. In those days of feeling helpless and out of control emotionally, all those conversations with La Virgen helped me stay focused on being with my daughter. With getting through each day. She gave me hope and saved me from a complete emotional breakdown. She gave me strength and guidance through the darkest days of my life. I am forever thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dirt Road Diary- Berdoo Canyon

It had been awhile but Joey recently convinced me to head out on an off-roading adventure. Mostly because the San Berdoo trail ends inside J...