Monday, November 17, 2008

Her First Protest Rally

So The Phi got to experience her first protest rally. Which was totally cool, and also totally by accident. Last week we were in Palm Springs for market night. As we started our way down the street someone stopped us and told us that a demonstration was about to come by and we should stand over to the side. So we pulled over and first there were some cops and then the people....

No on 8 Rally Palm Springs CA

Holding signs

No on 8 Rally Palm Springs CA

Some pretty creative signs...

No on 8 Rally Palm Springs CA

No on 8 Rally Palm Springs CA

No on 8 Rally Palm Springs CA

First Class Husband


And this was just the beginning of the fight......

No on 8 Rally Palm Springs CA


As I snapped photos I watched for about 20 minutes as people held their signs, held their partners hands, held their children's hands, and chanted together. It took a lot to keep myself together. I felt the lump in my throat and the tears begin to form in my eyes. Watching these people fight so passionately for something that for a mere $30 I can go do at a courthouse, just because I'm straight. There were couples who had been together longer than most marriages last and couples with kids marching and fighting for the right to be married. Even though it was by chance that we were there, I am so glad that we were and that together as a family we got to experience it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dirt Road Diary- Berdoo Canyon

It had been awhile but Joey recently convinced me to head out on an off-roading adventure. Mostly because the San Berdoo trail ends inside J...