Monday, May 12, 2008

The Wait is Over

I am writing this on April 21st. I don't know when I will be able to publish this because I am sworn to secrecy. I have been waiting for the phone call for years now. Every time the phone rang and her name came up I was hoping it would be "thee" call. Today this afternoon it was. I saw her name on my caller ID. For a brief second I thought, "Maybe this is it?" I tried not to get my hopes up.

"Hey Sam"

"Hey Willis, do you have a minute to talk?"

I was at work, but I had a few minutes

"Sure Sam, what's going on?"

There was a pause. A pause long enough for my heart to stop beating and then she said it. The words I have been waiting to hear from her.

"I'm pregnant"


I let the words soak in and I could feel my whole body get warm and goosebumps form all over my arms. I felt total and completely happiness run through me. My Sam was pregnant!. Finally her dream come true. If there was anyone meant for motherhood, it's Sam. She has been waiting for this for so long and I am beyond happy for her.

I immediately started thinking of baby names, blanket and embroidery patterns. Of course we will have to keep it a secret for a little while. Give the baby some time to really settle in to his or her (I think his) new home. Then Sam will announce to the world! The baby will be here at Christmas time. I cannot think of a more perfect gift for Sam and her family. I am so thankful that she included me and told me. Now I can share in the excitement. To be there to hear all about the insomnia, the cravings, the heart burn. To go through this with her. To go shopping for maternity pants and baby clothes. To bounce names off each other and stare at sonogram pictures. To share my pregnancy stories and labor nightmares. To hold her hand through what is sure to be the most amazing time of her life.

Later that day as I was putting temporary Spongebob tattoos on The Phi, I as so excited that one day soon, Sam would be doing the same for her little one.

I love you so much Sam. Congratulations doesn't seem like a big enough word for this!!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:40 PM

    CONGRATS CRISSY!!!!! ~pap

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:25 PM

    My congrat's to her and the family!

    -RO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:53 PM

    Congratulations Crissy, but like always you ladies forget about the the guy thats going to be the kids hero ,pal,sidekick,friend and mentor, the father. CONGRATS Phil!, way to go.
    Elissa's Pops

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:39 PM

    Thanks Willis... This was a beautiful and moving entry!! As always, I am counting on you to hold my hand through experience like you have done for so many others.

    ReplyDelete

Dirt Road Diary- Berdoo Canyon

It had been awhile but Joey recently convinced me to head out on an off-roading adventure. Mostly because the San Berdoo trail ends inside J...